2018 has been a year of tremendous change for everyone in Team RAD. As the year draws to a close, we have taken the opportunity to reflect on what has been a particularly busy twelve months.
Our trustees, staff and volunteers have continued to work tirelessly to ensure that RAD remains a leading service delivery organisation that works to meet the changing needs and aspirations of the Deaf Community.
Throughout 2018, everyone in Team RAD continued to achieve positive, life-changing outcomes for Deaf people through the provision of services that make real difference to people’s lives. We are proud to work with such inspiring colleagues and would like to take this opportunity to share some of our 2018 highlights:
- We have seen growth and development in our Community Support and Communication Services teams and enjoyed the progress made by our brand new Fundraising Team
- Following the launch of our new website we received some fantastic feedback – we look forward to continuing to developing it so that it meets the needs of all our stakeholders
- We were proud to award Fisher Jones Greenwood Solicitors with the Deaf-Aware Law Quality Mark – and look forward to working to ensure greater accessibility for Deaf people with more mainstream service providers in 2019
- Our team successfully navigated the introduction of GDPR with patience and determination, ensuring the required compliancy going forward
- On the 1st January 2018, we introduced a new Human Resources database. This is now used by all RAD staff and has enabled us to increase the efficiency of our personnel processes
- Our first Royal Deaf Week, in November, was a success with a variety of activities undertaken throughout the week, including a Sky Dive with our colleagues from Boots, a sailing trip with our Pioneer Sailing partners and a pub quiz
- We have a new Head Office! At the beginning of December we moved to a brand new office on the site of the University of Essex. For our new address and more information on our new office, please see here: https://www.royaldeaf.org.uk/we-have-moved/
- We are delighted to have been awarded the Investors in People Silver Standard
- We were proud to host the annual Christmas Carol Service for Deaf and Deafblind people at Chelmsford Cathedral at the beginning of December. Working in partnership with the Chelmsford Diocese and Deaf Chaplaincy Team, we were thrilled to welcome all of our guests and thoroughly enjoyed watching the signed carols of all of the schools
As we celebrate these and all of the other Team RAD achievements of this year, we are already looking forward to 2019. Early in the New Year, we will celebrate the culmination of our Heritage Lottery Funded project, the Deaf Detectives – an eighteen-month community project that has explored, captured and will celebrate the lives of Deaf people since RAD’s inception in 1841.
We are also preparing for our Money Mechanics celebration event which will be held in London in February 2019 (in partnership with MyBnk) and we are excited about progressing our fundraising activities in the New Year.
Over the festive season our Head Office will be closed between Monday 24th December and Wednesday 2nd January 2019; however during this time our work within the community will continue. For the very latest updates on our service delivery during the festive period please look at our website and social media feeds.
Finally, we would like to thank you for your continued support. We wish you a very happy, healthy and peaceful Christmas and New Year.
Amanda, Lesley and Sue.